Err99, the Canon blue screen of camera death in London, England – England & Wales trip part IV

The night of April 5th was one filled with horror and despair, for it was the night I received Err99, commonly referred to as the Canon blue screen of camera death.

Before that night, however, my day was wonderful. I unfortunately had to carry my backpack around with me for a good part of the day since I was switching hostels. I needed to switch hostels because I was taking an early train the next morning, which left before public transportation started in London. So, I needed to be close enough to King’s Cross station in order to walk there. Luckily there was a hostel right near the station, but it was a bit more expensive than the one I had previously stayed in.

A bit nicer as well, which is always appreciated.

When I woke up, I went to St. Paul’s Cathedral, which was absolutely gorgeous. And huge. I didn’t realize it would be quite that big.

I then walked over the Thames to Shakespeare’s Globe. How cool would it be to see a Shakespeare play there? It’s something I hope to do one day, but I didn’t have time today.

I then took the tube back over to Tower Bridge since I realized I had never gotten a picture of myself with the bridge. Of course I had to get a picture with one of my favorite London landmarks!

Oh, speaking of the underground. On the plane to London the woman I was sitting by told me that she didn’t miss the horror of the tube at all. For a while I had no clue what she was talking about, since I thought the tube was rather convenient and nice. But then I took the tube during peak hours. Let’s just say, if you’re claustrophobic, don’t go anywhere near the London tube during peak hours.

After that I just wandered around a bit, ate lunch (McDonald’s—had to redeem that free cheeseburger, man), and looked through some stores. Of course eating lunch necessitated that I eat outside in Trafalgar Square.

Around 2 I headed over to the hostel and dropped off my stuff (hallelujah), then I walked through St. James’s Park, which was stunning. I saw the Horse Guards building and the Horse Guards Parade, although there were no horses out at the time since it was late.


I then walked over to 10 Downing Street, where the Prime Minister lives, although you can’t get all the way through to the actual house because of security reasons. Afterwards I wandered through Waterstone’s (a bookstore chain here in the UK) Piccadilly, since I had heard they have a dalek.

I don’t know what people are smoking, because I walked through the entire bookstore and found no dalek. I did happen to stumble upon one while walking past the entrance to Planet Hollywood, however, which was excellent.

I wandered back through Trafalgar Square once more, of course. I can’t remember if I went to the London Eye again or not but in all honesty I probably did.

By this time it was getting late and I was quite tired, so I headed back to the hostel. It was at this point that my camera malfunctioned and I had a meltdown.

What happened was that I connected my camera to my computer and transferred all the pictures, as I do every night. I disconnected my camera and then attempted to erase all the pictures off my camera, as I also do every time after downloading the pictures. Normally the pictures are deleted rather quickly, but this time it went slowly and eventually my camera froze. I tried it once more but again, my camera froze trying to delete all the pictures at once. I tried deleting every picture one at a time but the same thing happened again. I couldn’t even delete the pictures off my camera through my computer.

At this point I started freaking out because I didn’t know what was wrong with my camera and so I didn’t know how to fix it. It started looking more and more likely that I would need to take it in to a camera shop to get it repaired, which would be both costly and time-consuming. Add to that the fact that the day after, I would be leaving London in the morning, so my best chances at getting it fixed would be gone. Hell, I didn’t even know if what was wrong with my camera was fixable, and replacing it would have been a nightmare.

So I went to Google to try and figure out what was wrong with my camera. After some searching it seemed as if the CF card (memory card) was the problem. Some people recommended reformatting the card through the camera, so I tried doing that.

Then my camera froze again.

And then something even worse happened—I got the dreaded Err99.

Error 99 is Canon’s equivalent of the blue screen of death. Basically, it seems that if you get Err99, it means your camera is on its dying breath.

Freak. Out.

I can’t remember precisely what happened next; all I can remember is sobbing and being really upset about my camera. I think eventually I must have found out that it was definitely due to the CF card being corrupted, and that if I replaced the card, it should work just fine.

By the way, it was the CF card. I bought a new one the next day and my camera is now working as usual.

That day could have ended better, but I’m just glad nothing seriously wrong was glad with my camera.


2 responses to “Err99, the Canon blue screen of camera death in London, England – England & Wales trip part IV

    • Thanks for checking out my blog! I am also glad my camera was okay–I don’t know what I would have done if something had been seriously wrong with it, and besides, it’s my faithful travelling companion!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s